RE: [xep-support] Landscape tables at end of document?

From: Clary, Brian D. (BDClary@mail.ifas.ufl.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 27 2004 - 06:06:06 PST

    On Tuesday, January 06, 2004 9:30 AM G. Ken Holman wrote:

    > At 2004-01-06 08:56 -0500, Clary, Brian D. wrote:
    > >In our publications, we sometimes append tables to the end
    > of the document,
    > >and if the table width is greater than portrait width, we
    > landscape orient
    > >those particular pages.
    >
    > If you can tell from the markup that you need a table to be
    > in landscape
    > orientation, and you don't need to somehow measure the
    > formatted table to
    > make up your mind, then check out the free PSMI formatting
    > semantic for
    > XSL-FO on our web site. It is found in the "Free Resources"
    > area of our
    > web site noted below.
    >
    > In fact, a table in landscape orientation is the exemplar
    > that I use to
    > document the use of the PSMI.
    >
    > >I've tried to duplicate this with XSL-FO; first
    > >with a landscape page master, but I haven't found out how
    > (if at all) to
    > >conditionally use this page master.
    >
    > Yes, XSL-FO 1.0 requires you to preset your page geometry
    > sequencing and
    > you can't modify it "on the fly" or engage a different page
    > master dynamically.
    >
    > >Second, I tried a <fo:block-container>
    > >landscape oriented around the table. This did indeed orient
    > the table
    > >landscape within the page, but if the table overflowed the
    > page, it did not
    > >continue on a new page.
    >
    > Yes again, this is illustrated in my documentation of PSMI as
    > I, too, tried
    > this approach to the formatting requirement.
    >
    > >Any ideas on how I might be able to do this?
    >
    > The PSMI is a formatting semantic for those tables at the top
    > of the flow
    > (child of <fo:flow>) that need to be presented in an arbitrary page
    > geometry in the middle of a sequence of other page
    > geometries. It is a
    > two-step methodology: run your own stylesheet that produces a
    > mixture of
    > XSL-FO+PSMI output, and then run the provided PSMI XSLT
    > stylesheet to read
    > XSL-FO+PSMI to create pure XSL-FO that can then be formatted.
    > Using the
    > PSMI you indicate for the table the specific page geometry
    > that you need,
    > and the PSMI stylesheet breaks up the given page sequence
    > into as many page
    > sequences as is needed for the desired presentation.
    >
    > I hope this helps.
    >
    > ............................ Ken

    Thanks, Ken, this appears to be what we'll need. I ran across a small
    problem though. Currently, just to test, I've set up an XSL-FO+PSMI file,
    and would like to know how to get RenderX to tranform the XSL-FO+PSMI file
    into an XSL-FO file. Here is the command I'm using:

    xep -valid -xml edis.fo -xsl psmi/psmi.xsl

    And I get this error:

    (document
    [system-id file:/C:/XEP/edis.fo]
    (compile Error on line 1020 column 23 of file:/C:/XEP/edis.fo:
      Error reported by XML parser: undeclared name prefix in:
    psmi:page-sequence
    Error on line 1272 column 7 of file:/C:/XEP/edis.fo:
      Error reported by XML parser: undeclared name prefix in:
    psmi:page-sequence
    Error
      XML Parsing failed
    error: SAX parsing error: XML Parsing failed

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Brian