[xep-support] printable PDF needs extra margin and cutting markers

From: Janning Vygen (vygen@gmx.de)
Date: Thu Dec 11 2003 - 07:08:19 PST

    Hi,

    i produce some nice PDFs and now i want to give them to a printing
    house. The paper is printed in full width to the edges.

    Now i need "Überfüller" and "Schnittmarken" I dont know the words in
    english and my online dictonary couldn't translate them.

    "Überfüller"(extra margin??) means to put 3mm more margins on the
    resulting papersize and "Schnittmarken" (cutting marker??) means to
    place markers on the paper to cut the extra margin after printing.

    There a three ways i can see:

    1. Option for XEP?
    I read http://xep.xattic.com/xep/doc/userguide.html and looked for an
    option to pass to XEP. It would be nice to give XEP options like
    --extramargins 3mm --cuttingmarker true . But there are no options
    like this.

    2. postprocessing pdf?
    Is there a way to call ghostscript or something lese to to add extra
    margin and cutting marker?

    3. manual FO
    Of course i could change my fo code, but this isn't very nice, isnt
    it? I would like to use the same fo for web pdf and print pdf and
    don't worry about extra margins

    Does anybody has a nice idea how to do it? I use docbook-stylesheets
    to transform my xml to fo, and xep 3.6.1 to render the fo to pdf.

    Any hints are welcome.

    kind regards
    janning