[xep-support] ps vs. pdf

From: Obenaus, Detlef (DObenaus@frankfurt.sema.slb.com)
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 02:52:33 PST

    Hello,

    I have a problem with generated PDF files by RenderX. Some printers will not
    print these PDF files.
    I have figured out, that some GIF graphics makes problems. So I have changed
    the graphic format to PNG, but the problem still exists.

    Now I produce PS files and convert these files with Ghostview to PDF. But
    now I have problems with external links to other PDF files.

    Here is an example for a link in a PS file:

    [/Subtype /Link
    /Rect [155.905 669.879 200.925 679.129]
    /Border [0 0 0 [0]]
    /Action <</Subtype /URI /URI
    (file:P_1.pdf#ID1069252745)>>
    /ANN pdfmark

    But this link will not properly work. A click on this link opens the browser
    without open the file.

    So I changed the postcript to:

    [/Subtype /Link
    /Rect [155.905 651.879 218.715 661.129]
    /Border [0 0 0 [0]]
    /Dest /ID1069252745
    /File (P_1.pdf)
    /Action /GoToR
    /ANN pdfmark

    That works fine.

    Is there a easier way to get fine PDF files, which are printed well on all
    printers and have external links to other PDF files?

    Thanks,

    Detlef Obenaus
    Technical Writer

    SchlumbergerSema Telekom GmbH & Co. KG