Re[2]: [xep-support] Conditionally outputting a block

From: Alexander Peshkov (peshkov@renderx.com)
Date: Thu Nov 27 2003 - 06:28:33 PST

    Hello James,

    I think I got it now. Generally speaking you want to select a
    page-master based on the content (amount of content) on the page and
    there is no such means in XSL FO. However I can suggest a workaround
    which will probably do the trick. It is based on markers and can
    be done in a two flavors. First of all you need separate your section
    into unequal parts (second part should be merely a half of the page
    long) and wrap every part in a block. Place markers with the same
    'marker-class-name' at very beginning of the each block. First marker
    should be empty and second marker should contain in a body optional
    ('pop-up') text which have to be displayed on the last page of the
    section if there is some space left. Now you have to retrieve this
    content and that's where those two flavors come into the game:
    1. Simpler, but (probably) less safe approach:
       Whole section is formatted using the same page-master which has a
       great extent on fo:region-after overlapping part of the
       fo:body-region. In the static content corresponding to this region
       you have to put fo:retrieve-marker with retrieve-position="first-including-carryover"

    It will retrieve empty string on all pages, but on the last one it
    will retrieve second marker content if the page break happened after
    the second marker (that means we have a little of actual content on
    this page). The positive about this approach is that it would work
    even if you have a number of sections in a single page-sequence and
    new section started with explicit page-break. And you do not need any
    special page-masters at all. On the downside, this approach could
    interfere with other footers in fo:region-after if they used along the
    page-sequence.

    2. A little bit more complicated (but maybe 'cleaner') approach:
       You have to wrap every section in a separate page-sequence with
       special page-master for the last page defined as described above
       (with great fo:region-after extent).
       In the static content corresponding to this region you have to put
       fo:retrieve-marker as in the first approach.
       This way all the pages of the sequence except for the last one will
       be rendered as usually using any geometry and fo:retrieve marker
       will fire only for the last page.

    Note that the whole thing will work only if your sections are longer
    then one page.

    All in all it's not that elegant solution, but it's the only one I can
    think of. Please find simple example attached.

    Best regards,
    Alexander Peshkov mailto:peshkov@renderx.com
    RenderX