Re: [xep-support] Can't print XEP output PDF files on HP 8100

From: Nikolai Grigoriev (grig@renderx.com)
Date: Wed Nov 05 2003 - 02:17:47 PST

    Susan,

    > Today for the first time one of my users reported that he could not print
    > one of my PDF files. He was using an HP 8100 printer.

    First of all, I would like to remind that PDF files are not printed
    directly: an application must read them and send commands
    down the printer cable. It is therefore important to understand
    which application is used: I presume it is Acrobat.

    So, Acrobat is capable of reading the PDF and gives no errors, right?
    For me, it means that the PDF is OK. Whether Acrobat is capable to
    issue the correct HP 8100 instructions is the problem of interaction
    between Acrobat and the printer - to be presented to Adobe or HP, not us.

    The real problem with Acrobat printing PDF files to PostScript printers
    is its tendency to generate PostScript itself, avoiding use of GDI
    machinery. In some cases, it produces output that cannot be accepted
    by the printer. The problem can usually be fixed by printing to a
    non-PostScript device (e.g.switching the printer to PCL mode),
    or specifying "Print as Image" option for the printer. Also, different
    versions of Acrobat behave differently in this respect.

    > The same files printed fine when I tried them again on the
    > HP LaserJet 4 and HP LaserJet 4M. Is XEP incompatible with the more
    > modern HP 8100? That doesn't make sense!

    A more modern printer has a non-Adobe PostScript RIP (HP's own
    production); looks like Adobe software does not interoperate well with it.
    The other two printers are pure PCL devices: it makes a huge difference
    when printing from Acrobat.

    If you have a PostScript generator in XEP, I suggest to generate
    PostScript by XEP and send to the printer directly. If there is
    a problem there, we will be glad to examine it.

    > ERROR: typecheck
    > OFFENDING COMMAND: filter
    >
    > STACK:
    >
    > /LZWDecode
    > -dictionary-

    The fragment of the PostScript code makes me believe that the error
    indeed appears when Acrobat tries to process GIF files. I suggest to convert
    images to PNG and retry. PNG images are packed differently (using
    /FlateDecode filters instead of /LZWDecode): there is hope that LJ 8100
    will treat them in a more friendly way.

    Best regards,
    Nikolai Grigoriev
    RenderX