Re: [xep-support] XEP and SVG

From: Chris Lilley (chris@w3.org)
Date: Fri Oct 24 2003 - 05:59:43 PDT

    On Thursday, October 23, 2003, 12:49:52 PM, Nikolai wrote:

    NG> Stefan,

    >> I have attached a typical SVG image that is rendered perfectly with FOP
    >> but not at all with XEP when creating a PDF. I would be very grateful
    >> if someone could point out what XEP can't handle in this SVG image.

    NG> Your image uses CSS selectors for styling. We don't support CSS stylesheets
    NG> in SVG.

    A pity.

    NG> (Strictly speaking, interchangeable SVGs should avoid using
    NG> a specific styling technology like CSS; I wonder if there is a switch
    NG> somewhere in CorelDraw to disable it).

    There is. Tell it to use formatting attributes instead.

    NG> I changed all 'class' attributes in your image to 'style',

    !! so, its still using CSS !! but a part of CSS that you implement,
    since the selector is implicit.

    To remove the CSS, change from, for example

    <path style="&fil1;" d="M3849 232l7 5 -12 0 5 7 0 -12z"/>
    <path fill="#131516" d="M3849 232l7 5 -12 0 5 7 0 -12z"/>

    NG> moving all styling info to entities;

    Why?

    NG> XEP rendered the resulting SVG without any problem.
    NG> Please find attached a modified version of the SVG image.

    >> I have a feeling that it may have something to do with
    >> the length/width and viewBox attributes...

    NG> XEP has no known problems in this area. However, your image's
    NG> intrinsic size was larger than the page;

    Corel Draw, like Illustrator and many other originally print-oriented
    tools, makes the author select a 'paper size' for a new drawing. The
    width and height here are those of A4 paper.