Re: [xep-support] XEP and height quality, printable PDF

From: Nikolai Grigoriev (grig@renderx.com)
Date: Wed Sep 10 2003 - 08:02:24 PDT

    Knut,

    > 1. Do XEP support Images in 300dpi with CMYK colorMap?

    Yes. XEP does not alter the resolution of the images. If you supply
    a 300dpi image, it will appear in that resolution.

    As for CMYK, we support TIFF and JPEG images in this color model.
    (There is a minor problem with CMYK JPEGs in the current version:
    we only accept jpeglib-style CMYK JPEGs, and Photoshop ones
    appear inverted. This will be fixed in the next version).

    > 2. Do XEP support Alpha Chanel (transparency)?

    No. The only supported type of transparency is single-color transparency
    for PNG and GIF images.

    > 3. Are XEP powerfull enough to create pdf's with realy big
    > images (>4mb)?

    In most cases, yes. XEP uses "lazy" algorithms to optimize insertion
    of graphics into the resulting PDF; for the majority of common graphic
    formats, the image is never stored completely in memory.

    > 4. Which grafic Formats are supported? (tiff?, png?, jpeg?, gif?,
    > esp? svg?)

    All of the above is supported to a greater or lesser extent. Please refer
    to Section 4 in the conformance statement (doc/spec.pdf in XEP's
    distribution).

    Anyhow, I vividly recommend that you get a trial version from
    http://shop.xattic.com and assess XEP capabilities on your real data.

    Best regards,
    Nikolai Grigoriev