Re: [xep-support] Footnotes - paragraph format?

From: Jeremy Cowgar (jc@cowgar.com)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 05:10:04 PDT

    Alexander Peshkov wrote:
    > Hello Jeremy,
    >
    > Unfortunately footnotes as they described in XSL FO 1.0 aren't suitable for
    > such use. The only workaround I can think about based on markers. You
    > can create static-content area at the bottom of the page, then mark all
    > your footnotes as markers and place all retrieve-markers in static
    > content mentioned above. But since static area has fixed height this
    > approach has two evident drawbacks:
    > 1. When there are few markers ("footnotes") on the page, empty gap
    > will be left at its bottom.
    > 2. Too mach markers on the page will lead to overflow.

    Hum. On that note, do you think it would be possible to utitlize the
    outside margin in this manner? I was thinking of doing that but the only
    examples I have found are using floats in the margin for footnote like
    data, create a float for each footnote...would it be possible to create
    just one float then retrieve all the markers on the page into that one
    float in the margin area? That may be an acceptable solution.

    I'm not certain, though, how to retrieve all the markers for a given
    page, nor how to create a float for every given page in the same
    position. I am still new to XSL-FO, coming from the LaTeX world.

    Thanks,

    Jeremy