Re: [xep-support] Unicode / TrueType fonts / RTL

From: Nikolai Grigoriev (grig@renderx.com)
Date: Tue Jul 15 2003 - 15:57:19 PDT

    Hi Lorna,

    > Thanks, that took care of the problem for my Hebrew test case. I have
    > another with Syriac and the font can't be embedded - and it's TrueType.

    This may happen when the TrueType font contains policy flags
    that prohibit its embedding. XEP honors these flags; you have
    to contact your font vendor if you need the font embedded in your
    document. (I know that e.g. LinguistSoftware requires a special
    license to use their fonts for PDF creation).

    > The documentation describes the need to use "encoding", "ordering",
    > and "supplement" Adobe attributes. Do you know where I can read
    > up on that to try to figure it out?

    If I knew, I would have inserted a reference in the docs :-).
    You may start here:

    http://partners.adobe.com/asn/tech/type/

    I tried myself but could not find data for fonts with non-Latin,
    non-CJK subsets. There's no such thing as "Unicode encoding"
    in the list of Adobe standard encodings. Weird, isn't it?

    In any case, leaving Syriac font unembedded does not seem
    a good choice: the receiver of your document must have
    the font installed on his/her machine in order to view your PDF.
    If your font license prohibit even subsetted embedding, I wonder
    how can you distribute the font itself...

    Best regards,
    Nikolai Grigoriev