Re: [xep-support] no space for an element

From: Nikolai Grigoriev (grig@renderx.com)
Date: Fri Feb 21 2003 - 01:37:29 PST

    Hi Els,

    > When formatting an .fo document I get several
    > of the following warnings:
    > "{?no space for an element, trying to recover}"
    > I guess it has to do with "keep-with-next" (within-page)
    > attributes or something like it, but I can't find the error.
    > Do you have any clue how to prevent this?

    Such a message is issued when constraints cannot be
    satisfied within the current page master - e.g. when
    a chain of elements linked with keep-with-next is
    longer that the length of the page, or a graphic is larger
    than the space available, etc. XEP tries to recover
    relaxing constraints; don't blame it if it fails to guess
    your intents in some cases :-).

    As a general rule, leaving this kind of warnings cannot
    be recommended. Ideally, you should revise your
    stylesheets and make constraint set more easy to satisfy.
    This would undoubtedly improve robustness and make
    formatting results more predictable.

    Best regards,
    Nikolai Grigoriev