[xep-support] Using a symbol glyph as a bullet

From: Kevin Yank (kevin@sitepoint.com)
Date: Wed Jan 22 2003 - 23:56:38 PST

    Hi, there!

    I'm trying to customize the look of bullets in my documents by outputting
    the following FO:

    <fo:inline font-family="ZapfDingbats">&#x006F;</fo:inline>

    In theory, this should output the 'o' character of the Zapf Dingbats font
    bundled with XEP, which is a right-bottom-dropshadowed white box. In the PDF
    output generated by XEP 3.1, however, the character does not appear.

    Installing my own copy of the Type 1 ZapfDingbats font (with the font
    metrics file, allowing me to embed the font in the PDF) and setting it up in
    fonts.xml makes no difference. I am unable to use the TrueType version of
    the font, as according to XEP it does not contain a Unicode translation
    table.

    Using the Windows Character Map tool, I have confirmed that the glyph I want
    is Unicode 0x006F in the font.

    What am I doing wrong?

    Kevin Yank
    Technical Business Director