Re: [xep-support] SVG

From: Gustaf Liljegren (gustaf.liljegren@xml.se)
Date: Wed Jan 22 2003 - 05:01:01 PST

    At 23:47 2003-01-21 +0100, you wrote:

    Tobi,

    >server products support FO, and SVG. Anyways, I believe SVG (among PNG
    >etc) will become *the* graphics format for use with XML documents and FO.

    I don't think the guys at RenderX need any persuation about the SVG. In
    fact, XEP had some experimental SVG support earlier. In XEP 3, SVG was
    dropped (maybe the partial support raised too many questions?) and now
    we're waiting for a better SVG implementation.

    In the meanwhile, I keep on nagging about PDF embedding. There are many
    formats apart from SVG that can be converted to PDF, so this would be more
    flexible than pure SVG support.

    >There might be solutions for fallback, but I'm not aware of any right now.
    >(... nor did I investigate)

    If you use the PS output, you can embed EPS images. Those are vector images
    too, but I've seen they can be huge in size compared to the equivalent PDF.

    Gustaf