[xep-support] Correct Behavior For reference-orientation on simple-page-master

From: W. Eliot Kimber (eliot@isogen.com)
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 07:48:50 PST

Continuing to try to understand reference orientation, it appears that
XEP 3.03 is not correctly implementing reference-orientation on
simple-page-master. The diagram in the FO spec
(http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/PageAndRegion-bodyWithOrientationOnPage.gif)
seems to be clear that reference orientation should not result in the
rotation of the physical page. That is, the absolute orientation of the
page length direction and page height direction is unchanged by
reference-orientation.

However, XEP does change it, such that if I have this page definition:

<fo:simple-page-master master-name="orient-0"
     page-height="11in"
     page-width="8.5in">...

Then the before edge is the physical top of the page, that is, portrait
orientation).

If I add reference-orientation="90" then the before edge should be the
physical left of the page, with the page still oriented as it was before
(portrait). However, when I format this with XEP, the physical page is
rotated along with the edges, making the before edge the physical left
edge of the page, but putting the paper in landscape orientation.

That is, the absolute orientation of the page width and height should be
invariant regardless of the reference orientation of the page master.

Cheers,

Eliot

--
W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@isogen.com