[xep-support] line 1: Incorrect top element - should be 'root'

From: Stephen Taylor <stephen_at_ADDRESS_REMOVED>
Date: Mon Apr 30 2018 - 11:29:26 PDT

I'm rendering a PDF from DocBook 5 XML generated by Pandoc from Markdown
source.

The Pandoc output begins:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<!DOCTYPE article>
<article
  xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook" version="5.0"
  xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" >

XEP aborts with a validation error on the XML, complaining

line 1: Incorrect top element - should be 'root'

There is an easy workaround: remove the line:

  xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook" version="5.0"

Looks to me like Pandoc has the right way to declare the namespace; seems
strange XEP should choke on it. Is there a better way to correct the
problem?

Stephen Taylor | Librarian | *Kx* | +44 7713 400852 | stephen@kx.com