[xep-support] Re: How do I use bleeds

From: Daniel Boughton <daniel.r.boughton@rrd.com>
Date: Mon Sep 15 2014 - 09:02:45 PDT

Thanks Ken.

I was really hoping there was a solution that allowed me to still use the
bleed processing instructions, but I guess this will have to do.

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 10:38 AM, G. Ken Holman <
gkholman@cranesoftwrights.com> wrote:

> At 2014-09-15 10:22 -0500, Daniel Boughton wrote:
>
>> One of our customers sent us background images for there documents which
>> are 8.75" x 11.25" including a 1/8" bleed so that the finished page size is
>> 8.5" x 11". Â I have tried several scenarios and I cannot get the effect I
>> am looking for. Â
>>
>> If I define my page size as 8.5" x 11" with a 1/8" bleed, I also have to
>> use a negative 1/8" horizontal and vertical position on the background to
>> get it centered on the page. Â This is close, but I actually want the
>> contents of the image to "spill" into the bleed area so that when the page
>> is trimmed there is no chance of white space showing up on the borders of
>> the page.
>>
>> I also tried defining my page size as 8.75" x 11.25" and used a negative
>> 1/8" bleed. Â The problem is that XEP trimmed the image in the bleed area
>> so we still run the risk of getting white edges on the document when it
>> gets trimmed. Does anyone know if there is a way to get XEP to leave the
>> image alone in the bleed area?
>>

> The following code will work, but it is not portable to other XSL-FO
> processors:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="US-ASCII"?><!--bleed.fo-->
> <root xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format"
> font-family="Times" font-size="20pt">
>
> <layout-master-set>
> <simple-page-master master-name="frame"
> page-height="11.25in" page-width="8.75in">
> <region-body region-name="frame-body"
> margin-top=".125in" margin-bottom=".125in"
> margin-left=".125in" margin-right=".125in"/>
> <region-end region-name="frame-end" extent="8.75in"
> background-image='url("harbour.jpg")'/>
> </simple-page-master>
> </layout-master-set>
>
> <page-sequence master-reference="frame">
> <flow flow-name="frame-body">
> <block>This is a test</block>
> <block>This is a test</block>
> <block>This is a test</block>
> <block>This is a test</block>
> <block>This is a test</block>
> </flow>
> </page-sequence>
> </root>
>
> It happens that XEP places the perimeter regions on the page before
> placing the body region on the page and so the body region shows on top.
> Other processors place the perimeter regions after the body region and so
> the above approach doesn't work because the end region's background
> obscures the body region.
>
> The specification does not prescribe a Z-level for regions and so all
> processors are conformant in this regard regardless of their choice of
> order.
>
> In the above the body useable area is 8.5x11 within the margins, but the
> end region is the full page size and thus occupies the edge for the bleed..
> Note that I chose the end region just because it is a region I seldom use
> and I can focus on the before/after regions for headers/footers (while
> [...]

*Daniel Boughton | Technical Analyst | RR Donnelley*
655 Brighton Beach Rd | Menasha, WI 54952
*Office*: 920.751.7603 | *Cell*: 920.450.3581 | *Fax*: 920.751.7686
daniel.r.boughton@rrd.com
<http://inside.rrd.net/insiderrd/pages/google/rrd_google_signature.aspx>
http://www.rrdonnelley.com
!DSPAM:87,54170dbc10109215813963!