[xep-support] Re: XEP and support of bookmarks.collapse parameter for PDF output

From: Kevin Brown <kevin@renderx.com>
Date: Tue Jan 07 2014 - 10:43:15 PST

> Can anyone tell me what version of XEP started supporting rx:bookmark and
when it was released?

Bob, I think you mean fo:bookmark not rx:bookmark.

Since September 2006 ... many moons ago. Specifically:

4.10 (5/18/2007) was - fo:bookmark/@starting-state is supported;
4.7 (9/8/2006) was - - XEP supports XSL 1.1 change-bars, bookmarks, indices
(partial), fo:page-number-citation-last, page-position="only"

>From What's New over time (since 4.0) for your information:

XEP 4.22
New features and improvements
=============================

- New RenderX extensions:
  - Injection of a complete external PDF as a whole (@rx:insert-document in
<fo:page-sequence> elements).
  - Selection of a specific page of a PDF image (@rx:pdf-page in
<fo:external-graphic> elements).
- Improvements in Section 508 accessibility.
- oXygen XML Editor 15 in DocBench bundle.
- Bug fixes:
  - Re-ordering of gradients in SVG
  - Gradients with opacity on paths in SVG

Changes since 4.21
==================
- Configuration parameter ROLE_MAP defining path to PDF Structure Tags
configuration file
has been moved from generator options to kernel options list in xep.xml.

XEP 4.21
New features and improvements
=============================

- Extended support of Section 508 accessibility features via new RenderX
extensions:
  - @rx:pdf-structure-type: allows to override structure types for
accessible PDF documents;
  - @rx:alt-description, @rx:actual-text, and @rx:abbreviation: alternative
descriptions for accessible PDF documents;
  - @rx:pdf-artifact-type, @rx:pdf-artifact-subtype: control type and
subtype of PDF artifacts.
- Improved diagnostics when XEPOUT crashes.
- Improvements in the UAX #9 bidi algorithm.
- oXygen XML Editor 14.1 in DocBench bundle.
- Bug fixes:
  - re-encoding of fonts in PostScript
  - multiple color profiles in PDF/A
  - incorrect number of color components in PDF/A and PDF/X
  - incorrect @text-align=inside/outside behavior in RTL scripts
  - patterns in PostScript
  - stack overflow error for linearized PDF
  - relaxed image PDF requirements to avoid an "Unexpected end of ZLIB input
stream" failure

XEP 4.20
New features and improvements
=============================

- The installers for both Java and Windows versions of XEP
  have been updated.
- XEP (Java) installer provides an option to download, install
  and configure GNU FreeFonts - an excellent collection covering
  a wide range of languages and symbols.
- Multicolumn footnote balancing algorithm is now more customizable.
- oXygen XML Editor 14.0 in DocBench bundle.
- Bug fixes:
  - relaxed TIFF requirements to avoid failures
  - correct dimensions for images in XEPOUT
  - unmatched change bars error turned into a warning
  - invalid PostScript headers on colored bookmarks
  - corrections for bidi-neutral symbols
  - collapsing custom comments in PostScript
  - @initially-selected attribute for radio-buttons in PDF forms
  - combining crop marks and text decoration bug in PostScript

Changes since 4.19
==================
- bug fixes:
  - @width and @height in XEPOUT for all images
  - dimensions and scaling issue for JPEG EXIF
  - issues related to transparency, SVG patterns, gradients,
    and color spaces
  - bookmarks styling
  - unclosed handles in PDF embedding
  - overprint in CMYK issue

XEP 4.19
New features and improvements
=============================

New RenderX extensions:
  - <rx:rich-media-object>: interactive Flash applications in PDF,
    with flashvars and resources;
  - <rx:pdf-comment>: sticky notes and file attachments in PDF;
  - @rx:overprint: the attribute controls overprinting flag in PDF
    and Postscript.

XSL 1.1 related changes:
  - support for @allowed-width-scale and @allowed-height-scale;
  - support for values "scale-up-to-fit" and "scale-down-to-fit"
    of @content-width|height;
  - styling for bookmark titles: @color, @font-style, @font-weight;
  - all existing XSL 1.1 support refactored from XSLT into Java
    code for performance.

Output generators:
  - XPS output producer supports SVG, including gradients;
  - a new option for XHTML generator to produce XForms;
  - action types for PDF links: open or launch target file.

Other changes:
  - JPEG images with EXIF data are supported;
  - interlaced PNG with alpha channel supported;
  - improvements in Thai processing;
  - Saxon 6.5.3 replaced with Saxon 6.5.5;
  - oXygen XML Editor 12.1 in DocBench bundle.

Bugfixes related to AcroForms, PDF stream objects, SVG gradients
and patterns, PDF/A and PDF/X, TIFF images, and more.

Changes since 4.18
==================
- oXygen 12 in DocBench bundle;
- bug fixes:
  - failure on SVG patterns with bitmap images
  - PDF/A errors
  - issue with crop and bleed marks in PS
  - internal issue

XEP 4.18
New features and improvements
=============================
- PPML output generator (requires a special license key);
- XPS generator supports bookmarks;
- additional JavaScript hooks on pages, fields, and document;
- new values for initial page layout;
- improvements in support for multimedia content in PDF generator:
  type and size parsing, additional playing control, poster image;
- improved rendering of Thai script;
- oXygen 11.2 in DocBench bundle.

Changes since 4.17
==================
- oXygen 11.1 in DocBench bundle.

XEP 4.17
New features and improvements
=============================
- XPS output generator;
- support for various multimedia objects in PDF generator;
- JavaScript hooks for PDF form fields;
- support for custom JavaScript libraries in PDF;
- embedding PDF 1.5 documents with "xref streams".

Changes since 4.16
==================
- oXygen 11.0 in DocBench bundle.

XEP 4.16
New features and improvements
=============================

- PDF Forms: a new extension to create interactive PDF documents, requires
special license;
- new options in HTML and SVG generators allow to produce a single zip file
  with each page in a separate file inside it, and to produce just a few
first pages;
- HTML and SVG generators support SVGZ images;
- HTML generator supports XEPOUT images;
- arbitrary procesing instructions inside fo:flow or fo:static-content
appear in
  roughly the same places in XEPOUT;
- serialization of XEPOUT events is faster;
- AFP backend now supports native JPEG images;
- added support for Invoke Medium Map (IMM) instruction in AFP backend;
- oXygen 10.3 in DocBench bundle.

Changes since 4.15
==================
- Changes in AFP backend:
  - AFPGrayImage option is no longer supported; Use data-types/@default-name
instead;
  - Significant performance improvement if native JPEG images used;
  - TLE instructions and NOP comments may contain commas by enclosing them
into single quotes;

XEP 4.15
New features and improvements
=============================

- HTML output producer (requires a special license);
- alpha channel in PNG images is supported in PDF backend;
- SVG patterns and gradients are supported;
- opacity in SVG is supported in PDF backend;
- a new option protects against a memory leak on SVG and data images;
- less memory is required for PS generator;
- bug fixes:
  - correct positioning of Arabic diacritics;
  - PDF linearization;
- DocBench bundle includes oXygen XML Editor 10.2.

XEP 4.14
New features and improvements
=============================

- SVG backend produces a single SVG file with all pages;
- XEP Intermediate Format files (XEPOUT) are supported as vector graphics
files,
  e.g. for fo:external-graphic (the first page is displayed);
- a new option IMAGE_INLINE_THRESHOLD allows to control placement of images
  inside PostScript document: they go either in document setup or in page
setup
  section, depending on the value of the option and the number of times the
image
  appears in the document;
- the number of pages generated by an fo:page-sequence may be forced to be
  a multiple of N by setting the value "xN" for @force-page-count;
- XEPWin supports input files with embedded style sheets and makes use of
temporary
  directory saving more memory for formatting;
- bug fixes in PostScript generator;
- support for page-number-citation-last in FO namespace restored;
- PDF/A compliance has been improved;
- DocBench bundle includes oXygen XML Editor 10.

Changes since 4.13
==================

- PDF compression: properly close DeflaterOutputStream;
- PDF/A compliance: time-stamp formats fixed;
- Compatibility fix in Transpromo: alternatives for 'any' are not
considered.

XEP 4.13
New features and improvements
=============================

- 'Transpromo' extension: when choosing a page master, XEP iterates
  over a set of page masters suitable for 'last' or 'only' until it
  finds one that fits;
- 'Watermark' extension: a XEPOUT file referenced as URI in
fo:simple-page-master/@rx:watermark
  is drawn first on a page which uses this fo:simple-page-master;
- bug fixes in PDF/A support;

- @background-image works on all table elements;
- DocBench bundle includes oXygen XML Editor 9.3.

XEP 4.12
New features and improvements
=============================

- 'Multicolumn footnotes' extension: footnote-column-count and
  footnote-column-gap attributes on fo:region-body;
- 'Unique footnotes' extension: content of footnote-bodies with
  equal value of id attribute collapse to one per page;
- PDF/A support;
- Custom meta-fields for PDF document properties;
- Encoding tables are not truncated if font is not subsetted;
- DocBench bundle includes oXygen XML Editor 9.1.

XEP 4.11
New features and improvements
=============================

- XSL 1.1 folio-prefix and folio-suffix are supported;
- Initial encoding for Type 1 fonts may be specified in the configuraion
file;
- PDF options:
  - initial layout: single-page, continuous;
  - viewer preferences: hiding toolbar, menubar, scrollers; fit window,
center window, window title;
  - switching between real/logical page numbers;
- Foreign elements ignored right after fo:root;
- DocBench bundle includes oXygen XML Editor 9.0;
- XEPWin Integration and Connectivity Kit:
  - A new multithreaded example in C# intended to measure performance has
been added;

Changes since 4.10
==================

- Embedding of PDF files with non-standard sizes of page boundary boxes
fixed;
- Embedding of PDF files with /Indexed color space fixed;
- Support for TIFF images with FillOrder 2 and CCITT compression restored;
- fo:bookmark/@starting-state is supported;
- PostScript generator supports two new processing instructions:
xep-postscript-page-label and xep-postscript-custom-comment;
- Single strip TIFF images without StripByteCounts tag are now supported;
- Unicode-aware TrueType fonts for Mac are now supported;
- A bug with crop/bleed marks for accessible PDF files has been fixed.

XEP 4.10
New features and improvements
=============================

- XEPWin distribution contains JRE 1.6.
- Best performance of XEP is achieved on JRE 1.6: compared to that on JRE
1.4 and depending
  on OS, input documents properties and configuration, it is from 18% up to
82% higher.
- AFP-related features:
  - Multilingual support: Greek character set added; basic support of the
Chinese character set has been added;
  - Added basic support of native AFP raster fonts;
  - Improved configuration of codepages introduced;
- PDF-related features:
  - Improved page numbering has been added;
  - Added Custom comments;
- DocBench bundle includes oXygen XML Editor 8.2;
- Integration and Connectivity Kit:
  - A new multithreaded example intended to measure performance has been
added;
  - xep-debug.jar prints source file names and line numbers if an error
occures inside XEP.

Fixes since 4.9
===============
- Changes in AFP backend:
  - Issue with exception thrown when images with certain dimensions are
processed;
  - Wrong processing of G:OCA sequences in multithreaded environment fixed;
  - Some BC:OCA barcodes did not rotate correctly;
  - Broken resource file for certain FORMDEF and External resource
instructions fixed;
  - Improved compatibility issue with certain printers misinterpreting
sequenced
    PT:OCA instructions;
  - Wrong OBD structured field fixed;
  - Incorrect processing of two-byte characters fixed.
  - Performance inprovements;
- Changes in PDF backend:
  - Fixed incorrect round-up of the coordinate transformation matrix for big
objects
    within a rotated container.

XEP 4.9
New features and improvements
=============================

- AFP-related features:
  - Multilingual support: Latin, Western European, Hebrew, and Cyrillic
character sets;
  - SVG bullets supported;
  - Added support of new SVG primitives with G:OCA:
    polyline, elliptical arc, Bezier curve and polycurve;
  - SVG text partial support;
  - SVG transformations, viewbox and nested svg:svg blocks are now
supported;
  - SVG color support improved;
  - Extended support of WordArt graphics via WordML2FO stylesheets;
  - Option of generating Barcodes via either BC:OCA or G:OCA (using RenderX
stylesheets);
  - Extended Barcodes support: Codabar, Code2of5;
    limited support of Code3of9, Code128, and 4state-AU;
- X4U: Improved user interface in XEP Assistant

Fixes since 4.8
===============
- AFP: SVG rectangles with fill=none fixed;
- AFP: rotation of BC:OCA Barcodes fixed;
- AFP: default font introduced;
- AFP: Wrong image borders fixed;
- AFP: Minor fixes and improvements;

XEP 4.8
New features and improvements
=============================

- DocBench distribution includes oXygen XML Editor 8.0;
- new fields in XEP Assistant configuration editor;
- limitation for strip/tile tags in TIFF images relaxed;
- calculation of default xHeight for Type1 fonts fixed;
- AFP-related features:
  - Barcodes support allows for AFP-standard BC:OCA encoding for some most
common
    types of Barcodes; As soon as XSL-FO does not have barcodes
specification,
    and RenderX extentions have been introduced, they are also used for
    generating barcodes in AFP documents.
    Please refer XEP Reference document for more information on obtaining
stylesheets.
  - New feature: Bullets support introduced for AFP;
  - Highlight color (spot-color in terms of XSL-FO) allows for printing
    on Black&White printers capable with indexed 'highlight' color.
    This provides wider support of AFP-capable printers;
  - Partial support of SVG (G:OCA).

Fixes since 4.7
===============

- Better support of CMYK color allows this color schema processed;
- Minor fixes and improvements;

XEP 4.7
New features and improvements
=============================

- XEP supports XSL 1.1 change-bars, bookmarks, indices (partial),
fo:page-number-citation-last, page-position="only".
  See chapter "3.7. XSL 1.1 Support" of the Reference for details;
- Major improvements in AFP backend:
  - support of FORMDEFs;
  - 'dashed' and 'dotted' line styles;
  - shading patterns;
  - caching for images (improved performance and reduced output size for
images that appear on multiple pages);
  - new configuration parameters added.

Fixes since 4.6
===============

- subsetting of non-CID OTF fonts restored;
- AFP backend supports both STC and SEC PTOCA color instructions;
- AFP backend: Fixed SEC (set extended color) instructions problem;
- AFP backend: options editor in XEP Assistant improved.
- AFP backend: Fixed failure processing fonts bigger than 36 pt.
  New version substitutes these fonts as 36 pt.
- AFP backend: Fixed wrong Z-ordering of overlapped frame containers:
  background colors, borders, and text of lower container raised
  over the upper one. NOTE: causes somewhat increased output size
  due to bigger PTOCA frame overhead;
- Fixed wrong color inheritance of multi-page documents
  (loss of colors in some cases);
- Fixed Page grouping;
- Duplicated/ wrong PAGE_TLE, PAGE_GROUP_TLE operation fixed;

XEP 4.6
New features and improvements
=============================

- AFP backend (requires a special license);
- line-breaking algorithm conforms to the Unicode Standard Annex #14;
- new implementation of XSL 1.1 change bars.
- PantoneColors.txt removed from the distribution due to license
restrictions. See Reference for details.

Fixes since 4.5
===============

- treatment of relative sizes on rotated containers fixed;
- improvements in processing of border-related attributes;
- svg: stroke-dasharray="0,0" fixed;
- enhanced PI serialization to the intermediate format;
- rendering of table-caption with caption-side="after" corrected;
- improvements in space distribution algorithms for automatic table layout;
- accessible PDFs may have bookmarks;
- OpenType fonts subsetting improved;
- changebars processing made more robust.

XEP 4.5

New features and improvements
=============================

- XEP supports Thai: word breaking and glyph composition/decomposition. SUN
jdk 1.4+ is required for Thai rendering.
- many enhancements and bug fixes, inluding:
  side floats placement algorithm has been reworked,
  marker retrieval algorithm improved,
  text-depth treatment is conformant to the specification.

Fixes since 4.4
===============

- several fixes in PDF parser;
- SVG fill- and stroke-opacity properties made inheritable;
- hyphenator made less restrictive;
- type 1 fonts processing made more robust;
- implemented a workaroud for postscript pinters that fail on 'widthshow';
- improved rendering of changebars in display-aligned areas and multicolumn
and multipage areas.

XEP 4.4

New features and improvements
=============================

- Personal license, free for noncommercial use, is now available;

- many enhancements and bug fixes, including:
  tagged PDFs can now be produced with stamped versions (Personal and
Trial);
  changebars in nested lists and tables work.

Fixes since 4.3
===============

- treatment of indents on spanning blocks and flow-sections is improved;
- implemented a workaround for a bug in JRE in WeakHashMap;
- precise values are used for crop & bleed offsets;
- repeatable table headers processing made more robust.

XEP 4.3

New features and improvements
=============================

- added Section 508 support;
  XEP can now produce documents that are in compliance with Section 508
  of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.

- added support for repeatable table footers;
  XEP now honours 'table-omit-footer-at-break' property.

Fixes since 4.2
===============

- restored proper handling of color specifiers in 'text-shadow' property;
- overflow property in CSS style is supported;
- markers in SVG are supported;
- rendering of images optimized;
- fixed containers in static regions work;
- hyphen characters are preserved on lines affected by initial-property-set.

XEP 4.2

New features and improvements
=============================

- Containers with fixed absolute position can now have z-index property;

- Change bars extension is now supported;

- PDF/X documents can now be produced with varying conformance level of
  PDF/X-1a or PDF/X-3;

- ICC profule can now be embedded into documents.

Other Improvements
==================

- Clipping of SVG images was optimized
- XEP now fills the Producer field in PDF meta-info and allows for control
  over the Creator field

Fixes since 4.1
===============

- leaders and images are kept together with the preceding text
- fallbacks for tables with overconstrained keeps are handled nicely
- page-number-citation works correctly with fonts with kerned digits
- handling of missing glyphs in subsetted fonts improved

XEP 4.1

New features and improvements
=============================

- Adobe Compact Font Format (CFF) fonts can be embedded into PDF
documents.

- Page numbers can use Arabic-Indic, Kanji, Katakana, Hiragana,
Cyrillic and Armenian numerals.

- Compressed SVG images are properly recognized and processed.

- Memory management has been improved, the formatter now uses memory
pools and weak references to avoid memory leaks and ensure efficient
resource allocation.

- Both PDF and PostScript use the Latin1 (ISO-8859-1) encoding for
symbols that can be represented in it, thus making post-processing
of generated PDF and PostScript more convenient.

- Formatting of automatically laid out tables is brought into strict
accordance with CSS2.

- Fixes for bugs discovered since the release of XEP 4 are
incorporated into the production code.

XEP 4.0

New features
============

1. XEP 4.0 uses a single configuration file for all subcomponents:
formatter options, fonts, and hyphenation are now configured from
a single location. The new format has the following advantages
over the old one:

 - default options for back-ends can be set in the same file;

 - font configuration is more intuitive: font families are created
   directly, and individual fonts are explicitly assigned to specific
   combinations of font family + weight + style + variant;

 - font aliases can resolve to multiple font families;

 - font aliases can depend on the language setting.

2. Table processing is now fully conformant to the XSL Recommendation.
In particular, the following features are now supported:

 - automatic table width adjustment (table-layout="auto");

 - collapsed borders (border-collapse="collapse"|"collapse-with-precedence")

3. Additional prepress features are supported:

 - spot and registration colors can be specified in both XSL-FO and SVG;

 - bleeds and trim offsets can be controlled by processing instructions,
   and respective marks placed on the page;

 - arbitrary SVG images can be placed in the image offset area, to create
   advanced printer marks. The distribution includes sample SVGs for
   registration targets and color bars.

4. More SVG features are supported:

 - clipping implementation is extended to cover arbitrary combination
   of path, shapes, and text;

 - fill-opacity and stroke-opacity are supported in PDF output only
   (incompatible with PDF version 1.3).

5. Improvements in font handling:

 - TrueType collection fonts are supported;

 - OpenType fonts with CFF outlines are supported, with limitations:
   * in PostScript, only non-CID fonts are supported, and Level 3 is
required;
   * subsetting of these fonts is not implemented.

 - Automatic slanting is possible, to create oblique and backslant
   fonts from upright variants.

 - Basic support for ligaturization: a list of ligatures can be specified
   in the font configuration.

Other Improvements
==================

- XEP can work without write access to local file system.
  When TMPDIR option is set to 'none', XEP stores all
  intermediate files in memory.

- Performance is optimized: memory consumption reduced,
  table processing speeded up;

- Documentation rearranged and refactored.

Interface Changes

- Deprecated Java interfaces have been removed;

- FormatterImpl takes an optional extra parameter,
  an XML document describing the configuration
  (as a generic JAXP source);

- Validator now accepts generic JAXP source as input.

Bug fixes
=========

- Inline keep conditions work on rx:index-item elements.