[xep-support] Re: Page number in fo:table cell questions

From: G. Ken Holman <gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com>
Date: Mon Oct 07 2013 - 20:02:30 PDT

At 2013-10-07 15:37 -0700, Sheila Rose wrote:
>I am trying to have page numbers generate in a fo:table cell with
>leader dots. When I try to do this with many page number references
>the page numbers wrap to the next line. I have the text right
>aligned in table cell but the second row of page numbers are
>justified. I do not have the fo:leader justified because I need page
>number to wrap and if you wrap page numbers with justified alignment
>the same thing happens. The second line of page numbers, (which have
>fewer page numbers than first line) are justified align instead of
>right aligned. This is not what I need. I need both lines of page
>numbers to be right justified even when the lines do not have the
>same amount of text.

I think you are out of luck. Since you don't know where the line
break is between the page number citations, there is no way to know
when to apply the differing alignment. And I can't think of a way to
make keeps help you.

>I am also trying to suppress duplicate page number references.

For that you cannot use page-number citations. That particular
requirement is addressed in XSL-FO 1.1 by using index-related
formatting objects:

   http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xsl11-20061205/#d0e13293

RenderX supports a number of the XSL-FO 1.1 indexing formatting objects:

   http://www.renderx.com/reference.html

Before that requirement was resolved in XSL-FO 1.1 with indexes I
used a back-of-the-book index methodology that I published for free
download here:

   http://www.cranesoftwrights.com/resources/#bbi

But I never use that anymore since the formatters I use support the
new objects.

I suppose since RenderX gives you access to the intermediate tree,
you could try and massage the page-number references from the
citations that you find in the tree, but that wouldn't be a task I'd
want to try and solve. I think it is best simply to use the new
indexing features supported by RenderX.

I hope this helps.

--
Public XSLT, XSL-FO, UBL & code list classes: Melbourne, AU May 2014 |
Free 5-hour lecture: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/udemy.htm |