[xep-support] Re: [SPAM] Re: Re: Troubleshooting DITA environment and output

From: Kevin Brown <kevin@renderx.com>
Date: Tue Aug 20 2013 - 15:14:38 PDT

Well errors in general are reported as they occur, that said a strange one
like a "java crash" -- i.e. the bug you hit, one could not guarantee
anything.

It is very rare if at all that you would get an error in the final stage (to
PDF). The reason is that normally it is RenderX generating the output tree
to feed into the backend. Some errors that could occur in that step could be
inclusion of an image as a PDF and that PDF is broken. It is possible that
the PDF itself would not be parsed for inclusion into the document until
that time. Also, many customers have implemented custom post-processing of
the serialized tree output (XEP format) and then feed that back into the
software to do special things.

With such techniques, you can feather pages, apply barcodes that are based
on unknown values like page counts, or perform bookfolding, inject
backgrounds, apply OMR marks, ... Of course, it is possible that the code
builds incorrect XEP format and hence causes the backend process to fail.

Kevin Brown
RenderX