[xep-support] Re: Abort when Image File not found?

From: John Maddock <boost.regex@virgin.net>
Date: Fri Sep 28 2012 - 01:47:00 PDT

> Thomas/John and anyone else who wishes to respond.
>
> I have someone who may be willing to do this -- question on Specs:
>
> Other than image not found, is there any other "warning" you wish to abort
> on?
>
> Just from memory -- warnings could be:
>
> Image not found
> Font asked for not found and is being replaced by default font

No but, this reminds me of the "no space for an element trying to recover"
error message - did it recover or not?

The issue here is that the message may be produced for things which are
relatively harmless - like content being split over multiple pages, or which
are pretty fatal - like content disappearing over the right hand margin. So
ideally I'd like to see:

* More information on why the message was produced.
* Was reformatting successful or is content actually lost?

To put this in perspective, at Boost we automatically generate ~70 PDF
manuals from Docbook XML each up to 1200 pages long. It is literally
impossible to proofread them all before doing a release, so we're relying on
XEP's messages to tell us if anything has gone wrong. Manually checking
every "no space for an element" is equally impossible, so we basically rely
on user bug reports to tell us if anything has been messed up in formatting.
So the really important thing I'd like from those messages is some
indication of whether formatting recovered (because the space that was
lacking was vertical space and splitting over multiple pages worked), or
whether it was lacking horizontal space and content was truncated.

Thanks, John.

!DSPAM:87,5065642063731341557109!