[xep-support] Re: OutOfMemory issues with XEP4.19

From: Kevin Brown <kevin@renderx.com>
Date: Mon Aug 27 2012 - 13:46:23 PDT

No. In fact, I ran 250,000 pages yesterday on my laptop (50,000, 5 page documents). It took about 1.5 hours without any issues whatsoever. We run such productions all the time, from small jobs like your 5000 pages to as large as 1,000,000+pages. I would suggest that it is not in XEP but within your own threading code. My laptop has Winmasse installed and is configured with 4 XEP processes running on four ports (as my machine is a quad-core CPU and I wanted to maximize the load across the whole CPU). The 4 processes each run in their own JVM with minimal (256MB memory each).

Are you using something like EnMasse (or WinMasse) on windows that already handles load balancing across a bank of XEP Engines? Or is this something you are writing yourself?

We have customers that have been running EnMasse/WinMasse on machines … sometimes for over a year … without doing or touching anything, producing 50,000,000+ pages – no failures, no memory leaks.

We also have VDPMill for very large production runs which has both a splitter and merger. It can split incoming XML files into chunks (for logically structured things like a batch of invoices), spread the rendering across multiple XEP engines running in separate JVMs within cores/CPUs/even different machines, and optionally combine output into a single file when formatting to PDF/PS/AFP. Single print files with over 500,000 pages have been created with this application (which sits on top of EnMasse).

Contact me to discuss how you should integrate something like our own pre-written balancer for such applications.

Kevin Brown

RenderX