[xep-support] RTL script, Arabic-Indic figures and hyphen

From: Benoit Maisonny <bm.lists@synclude.com>
Date: Sun Jul 01 2012 - 10:01:32 PDT

Hi,

I have some trouble with Arabic text containing 2 Arabic-Indic figures
separated by an hyphen:

<fo:block-container writing-mode="rl-tb" font-family="FreeSerif">
  <fo:block xml:lang="ar-EG"><fo:inline>عام ٠-١</fo:inline>
  المقدمة</fo:block>
</fo:block-container>
The block-container is in a table-cell

The text inside the fo:inline element is not displayed correctly in a PDF
rendered by XEP 4.19.

   - I expect, reading right to left: "Arabic-word space Arabic-0 hyphen
   Arabic-1"
   - but I see in the PDF: "Arabic-word space Arabic-1 hyphen Arabic-0"

So, 0 and 1 are switched. Other Unicode-compliant softwares display the
text on screen as I expect it.

If I understand the "bidi" system well, it is not correct to switch them
because, with this hyphen, my text gives a list of 2 figures, and not a
single number. So, the text RTL direction should be used, not the figures
"weak" LTR direction.
Looking at my FO file in a non-Unicode-compliant text editor, the
characters are stored in the file in the right order: Arabic-word space
Arabic-0 hyphen Arabic-1.

If I replace the hyphen by an Arabic letter, then the figures are in the
expected order, but a space or comma also give an incorrect order.

I have the feeling this is an error in XEP, but maybe I misunderstand
something here.

Regards,
Benoit

!DSPAM:87,4ff0828063731520079200!