[xep-support] Re: external-graphic from network drive

From: Kevin Brown <kevin@renderx.com>
Date: Mon Mar 19 2012 - 17:14:47 PST

All:

It depends on what product you are using. One thing to keep in mind, when
you map a drive in Windows, you are doing so for "you" ... meaning your user
ID. The only "user" that understand "Q" equates to something like
//machine//mount is your user ID. Any other program that runs under a
different user would not understand anything about "Q".

You can easily test this, if you log in as someone else, you would not see
that drive in your list of drives and that user may have mounted drives that
you do not see.

Now, let's say you are running XEPWin. This is a Windows Service. It is not
running under your User ID. It is running as the LocalSystem account likely
or something else possibly if you changed it. Now, that account knows
nothing of you as a user creating a link between "Q" and //machine/mount.
Anything created this way would never work with XEPWin (and never should
because it could be very dangerous ... like what if you created a link
between z: and c:/Windows/System32 ... and some service was deleting files
... and ... oops). It is never safe to create "anything" based on some
arbitrary mount point name. You should always use the fully-qualified URI
which includes the protocol (like file:) and the machine and directory.

Kevin Brown
RenderX