[xep-support] Re: Links to repeating headers

From: G. Ken Holman <gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com>
Date: Wed Oct 19 2011 - 07:23:33 PDT

At 2011-10-19 16:08 +0200, =?iso-8859-2?Q?Jan_To=B9ovsk=FD?= wrote:
>Dear Ken,
>
>thanks a lot for your deep analysis.
>
> > Have you tried using a marker? In your static content retrieve a
> > marker of a given name. At the start of your body flow, define the
> > marker to include the anchor, then immediate define the marker to be
> > empty. That defined marker will be retrieved only once, it will be
> > on the first page of your page sequence, and subsequent pages will
> > retrieve the empty definition.
>
>Markers seem to be a great idea.
>But I have difficulties in implementing it.
>
>In my flow I use the following definition:
><fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">
> <fo:marker marker-class-name="target">
> <fo:block id="{$id}"/>
> </fo:marker>
>
>In the static content
><fo:retrieve-marker
> retrieve-class-name="target"
> retrieve-position="first-starting-within-page"
> retrieve-boundary="page"/>
>
>There is no other element with this ID. But when my flow overflows
>the page, the link still points to the last page - like that ID
>would be in every header (althought there is no marker on that
>particular page). That retrieve-position value should be, according
>to http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#retrieve-position exactly what I
>need. Am I missing something?

Yes, you missed that I instructed you to immediately define the
marker to be empty after defining the marker to have the ID, as in:

<fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">
    <fo:marker marker-class-name="target">
       <fo:block id="{$id}"/>
    </fo:marker>
    <fo:marker marker-class-name="target"/>

I was assuming you would simply use <fo:retrieve-marker
retrieve-class-name="target"/>

Then on pages other than the first page, the in-scope "target" marker is empty.

Actually, I'm surprised your approach didn't work because you did
limit the retrieve boundary to only the page. Thus, it shouldn't
have looked on earlier pages to find the marker defined earlier. I
wonder if this is an XEP issue that needs to be explored.

I hope this helps.

Crane Softwrights Ltd.            http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/
G. Ken Holman                   mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
!DSPAM:87,4e9edd8b63731585066202!