[xep-support] Re: Can't produce output in Hebrew

From: G. Ken Holman <gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com>
Date: Wed Aug 31 2011 - 07:14:56 PDT

At 2011-08-31 11:33 +0000, Meyer, Lauren wrote:
>We have a requirement to produce a PDF in Hebrew with many English
>terms throughout. We attempted adding the writing-mode="rl-tb"
>property in simple-page-master elements and could only get an
>incomplete version in readable Hebrew with an ODT file format.
>
>Any direction on what else to try to get the full translation
>produced and to output in PDF format?

You say "elements" above. In fact according to the 1.1 specification
adding this to the regions of the page master has no instant
effect. The writing mode has to be set in the simple-page-master in
order to orient the regions, but the writing mode in the regions
themselves is set in the page-sequence.

The utility of being able to set writing-mode= in the region itself
is that in the page-sequence one can say
writing-mode="from-page-master-region()" and the value will be
obtained from the region pointed to by the master-reference= attribute.

XSL-FO 1.1 section 5.10.4 reads in part:

   In this example, the definition of "xsl-region-body" has a
   "writing-mode" property. As written, the computed value of
   this property, "tb-rl", would have no effect on the
   writing-mode used to fill the region because the
   writing-mode value used when generating the region
   viewport/reference area pair would be the computed value
   on the fo:page-sequence that uses the "xsl-region-body"
   region definition to generate a region viewport/reference
   area pair. Since no "writing-mode" property is specified
   on either the fo:root nor its child, the fo:page-sequence,
   the initial value would be used for the writing mode for
   the content that fills the region reference area. The
   initial value of "writing-mode" is "lr-tb".

I hope this helps.

--
Contact us for world-wide XML consulting & instructor-led training
Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/