[xep-support] Re: Docbench install fails on Windows 7

From: Kevin Brown <kevin@renderx.com>
Date: Fri Apr 29 2011 - 11:38:34 PDT

Mark:

1) Yes, when you run as administrator then Windows automatically starts in
the directory System32 so you need to execute a changedir to get to your
install JAR folder/bat folder (or use absolute pathing).

2) Not sure what you mean here ... how would you get the command prompt in
the first place? Just run the command prompt as administrator
(Start->Command Prompt (right click this and choose run as administrator).

There are also other ways such as creating a manifest file and placing in
the same directory which indicates that the BAT requires admin rights ... or
as I do, I take ownership of the Program Files/RenderX directory using my
login ID. This is a much better solution in the long run as you will find
that if you make frequent edits to files such as xep.xml, Windows will block
you from saving locally any file edit as it will exist under program files.
You will need to save the file elsewhere and copy into that directory (and
of course respond to that prompt .... yes you want to change it ...).

For this method (assuming this like a personal machine in which you can make
such edits to permissions) ... navigate to the RenderX install directory and
right click it. Select Security tab and then the "Advanced" button. Select
the "Owner" tab and change the over to your personal ID and not
"Adminstrators" Group.

Kevin