[xep-support] Re: Hyphenation Question

From: Jeffrey Thalhammer <thalhammer@apple.com>
Date: Tue Feb 15 2011 - 13:49:10 PST

On Feb 15, 2011, at 1:01 PM, David Cramer wrote:

> You don't need to set hyphenate to true even with soft hyphens in the fo source. That just controls automatic hyphenation.

Here's a little extra color on the subject. This is from the XEP User Guide at http://www.renderx.com/reference.html#Linguistic_LineBreaking

If the hyphenate attribute is set to "true" and all hyphenation conditions (hyphenation-push-character-count, hyphenation-remain-character-count, etc.)
are satisfied, then line-break is permitted after a soft hyphen (U+00AD). A soft hyphen at the end of a line is replaced by the text specified in the
hyphenation-character attribute; all other soft hyphens are suppressed.

To me, that says lines can break after soft hyphens ONLY if hyphenate="true". And that is consistent with the behavior I get.

Am I interpreting this wrong? Do you get a different behavior?

-Jeff

!DSPAM:87,4d5af4d863731010811459!