[xep-support] Re: Japanese and/or Chinese Hypenation Pattern?

From: <ben.m.wynn@rrd.com>
Date: Tue Oct 26 2010 - 13:05:21 PDT

Hello Anthony,

Yes, you may specify a <language> element without a <hyphenation/> child.
My own config file seems to work fine with a number of such language
definitions.
For completeness, the relevant section of the XEP manual is
http://www.renderx.com/reference.html#linguistic_algorithms though it
doesn't seem to indicate that you don't need to include the hyphenation
tag.

Also, from my own knowledge of Japanese, individual words aren't defined
by spaces, but rather the dictionary, so breaking them up with a linebreak
is always permitted and you should not include hyphens. People would
probably confuse a hyphen as the dash character that elongates the vowel
sound most glyphs end in, changing the word's tone and probably its
meaning. I assume the same holds for Chineese, but you might want to
check.

Ben M. Wynn | Technical Analyst 2 | RR Donnelley
400 Blue Hill Dr Fl 1 | Westwood, MA 02090-2164 | (: 617.218.7853 | *:
ben.m.wynn@rrd.com

"Collins, Anthony Torrero" <antorco@amazon.com>
Sent by: xep-support-bounces@renderx.com
10/26/2010 01:54 PM
Please respond to
RenderX Community Support List <xep-support@renderx.com>

RenderX Community Support List <xep-support@renderx.com>
cc

Subject
[xep-support] Re: Japanese and/or Chinese Hypenation Pattern?

In the xep.xml file, *must* a <language> element have a <hyphenation>
child element?

thanks,
Anthony Torrero Collins