[xep-support] unexpected bidi behaviour with english text in right-to-left mode

From: Gerald Wiesinger <Gerald_Wiesinger@at.ibm.com>
Date: Wed May 12 2010 - 01:10:46 PDT

hi (2nd try),

we are using a common stylesheet to create documents in various languages,
one of them: hebrew.

the data is within the XML file and can be any language, pure
left-to-right, pure right-to-left and mixed with numbers and text.

the only control we use is the writing mode which we set on the highest
possible container level for hebrew documents to rl-tb and for the others
lr-tb.
however, the data which gets fed into the rendering process can be any and
we dont know and should not know or understand the content.

the problem now is that in case we receive e.g. a english address for a
hebrew (right-to-left) document we find some (not all) special characters
like commas, full stops in the wrong sequence.

example:

the address:
19 LEONARDO DE-VINZI ST.
TEL AVIV.

gets printed as
.19 LEONARDO DE-VINZI ST
.TEL AVIV

i understand that the change to the lr writing mode would solve this but we
can not modify it as the language of the content is unknown.

the occurrence of this is imminent for full-stops after latin characters or
numbers.