RE: [xep-support] BleedBox & xep-pdf-bleed extension

From: <mike.kelly@thomsonreuters.com>
Date: Mon Dec 07 2009 - 06:49:05 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-xep-support@renderx.com
[mailto:owner-xep-support@renderx.com] On Behalf Of G. Ken Holman
Sent: 07 December 2009 13:21
To: xep-support@renderx.com
Subject: Re: [xep-support] BleedBox & xep-pdf-bleed extension

At 2009-12-07 12:44 +0000, mike.kelly@thomsonreuters.com wrote:
>I am looking for a way to add bleeds to a document, I have an SVG image
>that I need to overlap the main page(within the region-start &
>region-end) into the BleedBox to allow my output to be trimmed without
>gap between the image and the edge of the trimmed page. I have looked
at
>the xep-pdf-bleed, xep-pdf-bleed-mark-width extensions, but this isn't
>having the desired effect, I BleedBox is defined but I can't get the
>contents to overlap. Is there a way to use this extension to achieve
the
>results I am after? If not are there any plans to extend this
>functionality in the near future to allow this?

Graphic bleeds can be supported without extensions simply by
oversizing the page edges and positioning absolutely-positioned block
containers across the cut edges.

For example, if you have a different bleed for each chapter, and each
chapter is in a page-sequence, then in the static content include an
appropriately-positioned block container and put your graphic in that
container such that it sits over top of the cut edge location.

I hope this helps.

. . . . . . . . . . Ken

--
XSLT/XQuery/XPath training after http://XMLPrague.cz 2010-03-15/19
Vote for your XML training:   http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/i/
Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/
Male Cancer Awareness Nov'07  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/bc
-------------------------
Hi Ken,
Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately Print Provider is using
pre-flight software that requires the BleedBox to be correctly set in
the PDF. I currently have a work-around in place where I have oversized
the page including the bleed image and am then setting the bleed
afterwards using Acrobat Pro, which works but isn't a fully automated
solution.
Cheers,
Mike
P.S. Your definitive XSL-FO book is really good, really helped me with
my current project. Thanks
This e-mail is for the sole use of the intended recipient and contains information that may be privileged, confidential or copyrighted under applicable law. Any distribution, use or printing by anyone else is prohibited. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and any attachments from your system.