Re: [xep-support] Faking Bold

From: Michael Sulyaev <msulyaev@renderx.com>
Date: Wed Aug 05 2009 - 03:16:37 PDT

Robert Cherry wrote:
> Does XEP provide any functionality for faking bold in the absence of
> a defined font for the bold style? After looking through the
> documentation this appears to be absent. Can we expect this
> functionality in the near future? If not, is there any way to fake
> it?

Hello Robert,

Long ago XEP used to have this feature, but later on we decided to
remove it due to unacceptably low quality of the outlines for bold
produced from those for normal by 'faking bold' -- from the printer's
view. There is a good reason for the font designers to produce separate
metrics and outlines for bold rather than to apply a linear
transformation to the normal glyphs.

So, try choosing a font with bold.

Regards,
Michael Sulyaev