RE: [xep-support] ZapfDingbats.afm

From: Kevin Brown <kevin@renderx.com>
Date: Wed May 13 2009 - 10:11:04 PDT

No. In order to embed a Base font you must obtain the font data. RenderX only distributes the font metrics. These are not free, you would need to purchase a ZapfDingbat font.

However, no application should require and Base 14 fonts to be embedded and claim that it is PDF consumer application unless they are being embedded for a specific application of the PDF specification such as PDF/A. In other words, you client is wrong unless they are producing PDF/A which requires all fonts to be embedded (for historical archiving).

A good brief summary is here at Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDF) under the heading Base 14 fonts.

Also, Chapter 2 of the PDF Reference, page 40 states:

"• PDF prescribes a set of 14 standard fonts that can be used without prior defini-

tion. These include four faces each of three Latin text typefaces (Courier,

Helvetica*, and Times*), as well as two symbolic fonts (Symbol and ITC Zapf

Dingbats®).

These fonts, or suitable substitute fonts with the same metrics, are

required to be available in all PDF consumer applications."

Hence, any application which claims support for PDF must be able to display/print files that contain references to ZapfDingbat fonts without those fonts being embedded. If it cannot, it is not a PDF compliant application.

Kevin