Re: [xep-support] Trouble with tables

From: <daniel.r.boughton@rrd.com>
Date: Mon Apr 27 2009 - 06:08:29 PDT

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I did not realize that there was an
order of precedence for border styles. I guess that would make sense
though, because you would need a way to resolve different adjacent borders
when doing a border-collapse.

The problem that I have with using "hidden" though is that it appears to
use the color white to do the hiding. If I have a row where I've set the
background color to 50% gray and I use hidden on a border, I can still
see where the border should be because it is now white on a gray
background. I would think that you would want hidden to use the current
background color.

"G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com>
Sent by: owner-xep-support@renderx.com
04/24/2009 04:25 PM
Please respond to
xep-support@renderx.com

xep-support@renderx.com
cc

Subject

At 2009-04-24 15:27 -0500, daniel.r.boughton@rrd.com wrote:
>I am having some trouble overriding borders at the cell level of a
>table. If the borders are defined at the table-column level I am
>not able to turn off a border at the table-cell. I can override
>some border settings at the table-cell, but not all. If I define
>border "1pt solid black" at the table-column I cannot change it at
>the table cell, but if I define a border of "1pt dotted black" at
>the table-column, I can set it to a "solid" border at the cell, but
>I cannot set it to "none". If I define all borders at the cell
>level and not at the column, I can do all the overrides I want.

Remember that there are two kinds of precedence going on here, that
of table vs column vs cell, and that of border style.

There are two ways to get no border when dealing with the style:

    "none" - which has lower precedence than any other border style
    "hidden" - which has higher precedence than any other border style

>Attached is an example FO that shows the problem I am having.
>
>I just want to know if this is the expected behavior, or if this is a
bug.

I don't think it is a bug. I just changed the second table to
"hidden" and the left border cannot be seen.

I hope this helps.

p.s. this is part of the material I am teaching in June in a
publicly-subscribed class as I am teaching about every formatting
object in XSL-FO 1.1

--
XSL-FO/XSLT/XQuery hands-on training - Los Angeles, USA 2009-06-08
Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/