[xep-support] How to handle spacing between a block _within_ a list and the block _after_ the list

From: Jeffrey Thalhammer <thalhammer@apple.com>
Date: Tue Mar 31 2009 - 17:14:52 PST

Hi there-

We have a general design rule that all blocks of text within a list
should have 8pt of spacing after them. We also have a design rule
that a block that follows a list must have a total of 16pt spacing
between it and the last block of text in the preceeding list. But if
the last block within the list has space-after=8pt and the block
following the list-block has space-before=16pt, then I end up with a
total of 24pt between the two. If you render the attached FO file
with XEP, it demonstrates this case:

I understand that XEP has rules about how to resolve spacing between
neighboring blocks that have both space-after and space-before
attributes. In this case, however, one of the blocks is a child of a
list that neighbors the other block. But we would like the spacing
between these blocks to be resolved as if they were directly
neighboring blocks.

I tend to think that this is a pretty common situation. You'll often
have nested structures where the blocks are not direct neighbors in
the FO, but when rendered, they are visually adjacent to each other.
Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time.

Jeffrey Thalhammer
Imaginative Software Systems