Re: [xep-support] xep behaviour clarification

From: Michael Sulyaev <msulyaev@renderx.com>
Date: Tue Dec 16 2008 - 09:01:59 PST

Dan Ochs wrote:
> hi everyone, I am wondering if someone can explain to me why, when xep
> decides a line cannot break, that it "squashes" the text to fit within
> that line? I do not have hyphenation turned on and I believe this is
> how xep works by design? Is there a way to change the behavior so
> that xep does not do this or throws an exception instead?

Hello Dan,

Without a chance to break the line, XEP must fit it into a short area,
and is allowed to change word spacing and letter spacing. There are now
spaces between words in your case (just one word), thus letter spacing
becomes a large negative, producing the effect of "squashed" text. This
is all in accordance with the spec.

You may set letter-spacing.mininum="0pt". Text will not be squashed, it
will just protrude the right border and go further to the right. It is
not possible to get an exception thrown, not even a warning message
logged in this case.

Specifying overflow="error-if-overflow" would be of some help if it were
implemented on table cells, but it is not.

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

Regards,
Michael Sulyaev