Re: [xep-support] Including an FO document in another FO document?

From: G. Ken Holman <gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com>
Date: Fri Nov 21 2008 - 14:58:29 PST

At 2008-11-21 14:16 -0800, A Seifert wrote:
>Is it possible to create an FO document that includes another FO document?

Not by reference, but when using XSLT you can merge portions of FO
found in other documents into the FO stream you are creating.

>Like how an HTML file can include an external CSS?

No, not like that. XSL-FO is designed such that the entire instance
has all of the information except for external graphics. You cannot
even share static content between page sequences or re-use other
groups of formatting objects because the design allows the formatter
to do a lot of garbage collection when finished with page sequences.

>I've been looking for "include" but I can only find references for
>inclusion with regards to XSLT, not FO.

Right ... *that* inclusion is for managing stylesheet
fragments. There is no equivalent concept in XSL-FO.

I hope this helps your understanding of the specification.

--
Upcoming XSLT/XSL-FO, UBL and code list hands-on training classes:
:  Sydney, AU 2009-01/02; Brussels, BE 2009-03; Prague, CZ 2009-03