Re: [xep-support] Queueing in EnMasse

From: David Tolpin <david.tolpin.xepng@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Sep 01 2008 - 10:34:34 PDT

>> I can't see how increasing the number of agents will help as each
>> agent (I am lead to believe) is there to load and monitor a single XEP
>> instance. Increasing the 'data-backlog' value allows for more tcp
>> connections but the behaviour continues to be as described above.
>
> Khachik was right.

Hi,

more on this. An agent is the entity that handles an incoming
connection. When there is a connection and a free agent, the agent
binds to the connection and becomes busy. When a node becomes free,
the agent grabs the node (apparently a different one every time) sends
the job to the node,
waits it to complete and then returns the result via the data
connection to the client (there is failure processing but let's leave
it out for simplicity). The agent is now free again and ready to
handle another connection.

If you have 1000 agents and two nodes, you can have 2 documents being
formatted and 998 waiting in EnMasse's queue. If -- for some reason --
you don't want EnMasse's internal queue to grow beyond a certain size,
 you limit it's size by the agent number; and the connections beyond
the limit will block. You'll then be able to manage the queue on the
client size.

David