Re: [xep-support] XEP compared to FOP 0.94

From: Philippe Nobili <philippe.nobili@cggveritas.com>
Date: Tue Aug 05 2008 - 00:39:31 PDT
Roy Dennington wrote:
Philippe,

I haven't tried adding bitmaps to SVG. Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

Well, I do not believe it does. We use SVG graphics a lot when writing technical documentation on interactive software for instance; screenshots (of the interactive application) are imported as PNG images into the SVG graphic, whereas annotations and symbols (as arrows, etc etc) are added in vectorial form allowing a proper resize without loss of resolution.

That's the main usage of SVG graphic in my company (another one is logo editing). The same SVG graphic is used for both HTML and printed (PDF) output; of course, no processing is involved for HTML output.

You can always compose a small demo illustrating the problem.

The problem is straightforward to reproduce: just pick up any JPG, or PNG file, launch  your favorite SVG editor (we use Inkscape), import the selected image as a bitmap, add any symbol or text and save the SVG file (./images/my_svg.svg). Then insert it into your DocBook/XML file:
<mediaobject>
<imageobject>
<imagedata fileref="images/my_svg.svg"/>
</imageobject>
 </mediaobject>

If you convert your .xml file into PDF using XSL-FOP (from Apache), the result is fine, if you use XEP, the bitmap is replaced by an empty rectangle and only the added text or symbol are left.

Thanks for your reply.
Best regards.