Re: [xep-support] XEP compared to FOP 0.94

From: Philippe Nobili <philippe.nobili@cggveritas.com>
Date: Tue Aug 05 2008 - 00:30:24 PDT

Dave Pawson wrote:
> 2008/8/4 Philippe Nobili <philippe.nobili@cggveritas.com>:
>
>> Roy,
>>
>> Thanks for the explanation, I will check this. The "bitmaps" (usually PNG
>> images) imported from our SVG graphics seem also to have gone away during
>> the PDF rendering. Any thoughts about this ?
>>

> Not an XEP issue? Conversion of PNG to SVG isn't down to XEP surely?
> Why not use the PNG images directly within the xsl-fo?

The graphic resource referenced to in the XSL-FO file passed to XEP (the
.fo file) is our SVG file; so, I think this might be an XEP issue.
Turning the same .fo file into PDF with FOP works perfectly.

To answer your question, we often use PNG images directly (most of the
time actually), except when we intend to add text, graphic symbols or
annotations to images; in this case, we use the SVG for its capability
to resize the objects without loss of resolution (text is not easy to
read from PNG images). The PNG image is internally referenced to as an
external bitmap file by the SVG graphic in this case.

Best regards.