Re: [xep-support] small-caps in Times New Roman

From: Michael Sulyaev <msulyaev@renderx.com>
Date: Wed Feb 13 2008 - 00:16:43 PST

Bob Stayton wrote:
> I would like to use the variant="small-caps" property with the Times New
> Roman TrueType font that comes with Windows. It seems the font does
> have small-cap glyphs, because programs like Word can display
> small-caps. However, output from XEP does not show small-caps.

Hello Bob,

I believe Word displays small-caps for this font because Word performs
an automatic transformation of glyphs for capital letters squeezing them
by height as m/M. The font itself does not contain a separate set of
outlines for small-caps.
XEP does not perform such squeezing because the quality of the resulting
glyphs is not acceptable.

> I've tried many variations on the font names to get it to work, but with
> no luck. Can RenderX confirm that small-caps is a feature that is
> supported by XEP?

XEP supports small-caps if you have a font, but does not squeeze glyphs.

XEP draws small-caps if requested in FO (font-variant="small-caps") and
configured in xep.xml for this font, that is, there is a separate record
in the font-family. Note that there may be combinations of
bold*italic*small-caps, but I've never seen a font having all eight sets
of outlines.

Michael Sulyaev
http://www.renderx.net
http://www.renderx.com