Re: AW: AW: [xep-support] XSLFO: trouble with text-align-last="justify" and linefeed-treatment="preserve"

From: G. Ken Holman <gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com>
Date: Mon Jan 21 2008 - 08:40:38 PST

At 2008-01-21 15:22 +0100, Kirch Fritz wrote:
>OK Here is my real world example:

By "real world" I would have more thought about the nature of the
problem being solved, not the technical aspects of the problem that
don't work based on a preconceived notion.

>The FO-file and the PDF-file is in attachement
>
>If you take a look into the pdf-file: I am very interested in
>solving the problem with the last red block.

Looking at your examples, I think the problem is solved before XSL-FO
is involved.

Between the last two examples, somewhere in the "real world" a choice
was made that a long line with two names had to be split up into two
lines with names being separate. Choosing to use a linefeed to split
up the two lines triggers the technical problems you've
cited. Choosing an empty block would do the same.

Since you want different behaviours for both lines, at the point
where you decided that two lines were needed you could have made the
decision to use two blocks, the non-last blocks formatted unjustified
and the last block formatted justified.

So I don't think XSL-FO is at fault.

 From the "real world" perspective, what does the XML look like that
you need formatted? That would tell us the nature of the problem to
be solved, it wouldn't focus on a technical solution that may be the
wrong one to start with. Hence Micheal's comment:

At 2008-01-21 16:03 +0300, Michael Sulyaev wrote:
>Fairly, I've never seen linefeed-treatment="preserve" without
>white-space-treatment="preserve", and when they are set together,
>justification is not required. Could you send a real world example
>when you cannot achieve what you need?

It would leave open a number of other approaches that might very
easily be solved, such that the reader of the archive wouldn't think
that XSL-FO was at fault when all along it was the choice of XSL-FO being used.

I hope this helps.

Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/
Male Cancer Awareness Nov'07  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/bc