RE: [xep-support] Tab Stops

From: Owens, Stephen P <Stephen.P.Owens@pfizer.com>
Date: Mon Dec 17 2007 - 10:49:25 PST

Ken,

Thank you for your response. I don't have any particular layout
requirement; I am trying to support a group of some 200-1000 authors who
will be developing documentation all across the board. They currently
use MS Word to do this, and it is uncertain what any particular author
may want to do with Tabs, but it is a safe bet that collectively they
would use tab stops in every conceivable way that they can currently be
used from within MS Word.

The long and the short of it, is that if it cannot be supported the way
Word does, then we will probably have to introduce a change that
mandates using alternative constructs such as tables for columnar
layout, and maybe fixed spacing when using Tabs inline. The users will
not like this, and will not be likely to appreciate an explanation that
says 'the FO specification does not support it.'

However, before recommending such a change in business policy, I would
first like to confirm that there is definitely no technical solution to
this issue.

Anyone who reads this and sits on the XSL-FO committee, please take
notice: Tab stops are a much sought after feature. Perhaps there is a
fundamental reason (beyond 'it isn't part of the standard') that this
capability cannot be supported, if so it would be nice to know what that
reason is. Any help or insight will be appreciated.

Steve Owens
Integrity Integrators LLC
When Failure Is Not an Option
Phone: 888-624-0484