Re: [xep-support] Fairly urgent question about font encoding of Base 14 fonts

From: Jim Melton <jim.melton@acm.org>
Date: Mon Oct 08 2007 - 14:25:12 PDT

Alexei,

Many thanks for the response. One more question, if you don't mind:
Is the encoding actually non-standard, or does it merely *say*
"Custom"? I don't quite know how to prove it one way or the other.

Oh, one more thing: I don't suppose that I could be a guinea pig for
testing that extension in the next week or so? I have to deliver my
documents to ISO very, very soon and they are being a bit difficult
over this encoding issue.

Alternatively, if you can tell me how to reassure ISO that having a
Custom encoding will not cause any platform difficulty in reading or
printing the document, that would be extremely helpful.

Thanks again,
    Jim

At 10/8/2007 02:01 PM, Alexei Gagarinov wrote:
>Hello Jim,
>
> > Is it possible that I did something between XEP 3.8 and XEP 4.5 that
> > would cause this change?
>
>No, it's a feature of XEP 4.
>
> > Or is this an artifact of XEP 4.*?
>
>Writing of Type 1 fonts into PDF/PS files has been changed in XEP 4.
>'Encoding: Custom' for all fonts is the current behavior of XEP 4.x.
>
> > What should I do to get Encoding: Ansi (or at least Encoding:
> > Standard) for those Base 14 fonts (NOT embedded!!) that I use in my
> > documents?
>
>There are no means for switching between encodings in the current
>version of XEP.
>
>But we are going to add an extension for making a (forced) choice of
>one of predefined encodings (MacRomanEncoding, MacExpertEncoding, or
>WinAnsiEncoding).
>
>Best regards,
> Alexei Gagarinov
>RenderX

>you are subscribed from.
>(*) By using the Service, you expressly agree to these Terms of
>Service http://www.renderx.com/terms-of-service.html

Jim Melton --- Editor of ISO/IEC 9075-* (SQL) Phone: +1.801.942.0144
   Co-Chair, W3C XML Query WG; F&O (etc.) editor Fax : +1.801.942.3345
Oracle Corporation Oracle Email: jim dot melton at oracle dot com
1930 Viscounti Drive Standards email: jim dot melton at acm dot org
Sandy, UT 84093-1063 USA Personal email: jim at melton dot name