Re: [xep-support] recto/verso vs odd/even

From: G. Ken Holman <gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com>
Date: Thu Aug 30 2007 - 04:43:43 PDT

At 2007-08-30 18:43 +0900, Carlos Villegas wrote:
>I sent this query to the XSL list and got no response. Is this
>really missing in the XSL spec or am I missing something?

It is really missing in the XSL specification.

>Maybe there's a way to do it with XEP, with some postprocessing perhaps.
>Any advice is appreciated.

I do not know XEP postprocessing well enough to comment.

>I'm trying to format a book using XSL-FO in which recto and verso pages
>have different layouts. Basically mirror layouts with larger inside
>margins for binding. The problem is that my page-sequence's have
>initial-page-number=1 and force-page-count="no-force", we don't want
>blank pages. In other words, whether a page is odd or even has nothing
>to do with whether it is a front page or a back page in the book.

I understand that is your requirement, but FO 1.1 section 6.4.12
explicitly states:

   The sub-condition corresponding to the odd-or-even trait is true if
   the value of the odd-or-even trait is "any" or if the value matches
   the parity of the page number of the page generated using the
   fo:conditional-page-master-reference.

Therefore you can only test on page number parity and not on recto/verso.

>The book contains many small sections starting at page 1 but that can be
>a front or back page. Naturally I'm mapping the sections to
>page-sequences. However the conditional-page-master-reference has only
>tests for odd-or-even based on the page number of the page-sequence
>as stated by the spec. I haven't found anything for recto/verso (front/back).
>
>Any way to achieve this with XSL-FO?

Not that I know of ... perhaps someone on the committee can comment.

--
Upcoming public training: XSLT/XSL-FO Sep 10, UBL/code lists Oct 1
Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/