Re: [xep-support] SVG questions/problems

From: Alexei Gagarinov <agagarinov@renderx.com>
Date: Sat Aug 04 2007 - 10:49:23 PDT

Hi Mats,

> 1. We believe that the same font is used in the document text as in
> the SVG images.

SVG has a direct declaration of the font family, while text in other
parts of the document has no such a declaration -- i.e. it uses a
default font family.

Remove the 'font-family:serif' from SVG or set this attribute to those
font family that has all desired glyphs.

> 2. Links do not work in SVG.

It's a limitation of SVG support in XEP -- XEP processed only text
children of the svg:a element.

> 3. How do we center text vertically?

Put the @baseline-shift attribute on the corresponding 'text' element.
The value of -25% will give you desired effect for all font sizes.

> 4. This might be a DocBook stylesheet problem, but according to the
> definition, SVG should be surrounded by the <imagedata> tag (in turn
> surrounded by <imageobject>.

Bob has already answered to this.

> When we do that, the image will not show.

If you format your sample to XSL-FO, you will notice that there is an
fo:external-graphic element with an empty url.

You may ask about this issue in DocBook list
(docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org).

> 5. A minor problem, but ligatures are not used in text inside SVG,
> but it is used in the same text outside SVG.

XEP does not support ligaturization in SVG.

> Anyone have any hints about what may be wrong? Below is a DocBook
> document with embedded SVG which reproduces all these problems.
>
> Regards,
> / Mats S

Best regards,
  Alexei Gagarinov