Re: [xep-support] XEP's Saxon and JDK 1.5+

From: Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>
Date: Mon Mar 12 2007 - 06:21:14 PST

Chris Wong wrote:
> XEP 4.9 comes with a copy of the Saxon jar, version 6.5.3. This is a
> fairly old version. The latest maintenance release of Saxon 6 is version
> 6.5.5, which contains bug fixes for JDK 1.5. For example, Saxon 6.5.3
> has trouble with spaces in paths under JDK 1.5.
>
> Does XEP care at all what version of Saxon is in its lib directory? Does
> it use Saxon at all?

AFAIK Saxon is used only when you ask for XSLT transformation before FO
processing. For internal purposes (e.g. FO validation) XT is used instead.

I think that you can safely replace saxon.jar with the newest version. I
remember than in one project I even replaced Saxon 6.x with Saxon 8
(stylesheets were written in XSLT 2.0) and everything worked correctly.