Re: [xep-support] French hyphenation bug ?

From: Keith - Parenty Reitmeier Inc. <keith@parenty.mb.ca>
Date: Fri Jan 19 2007 - 13:49:08 PST

We are a multilingual company and we too have been experiencing bad
hyphenation in the French language since XEP 4. I requested support
on this issue some time ago and was asked to provide sample FO files
and explanations regarding improperly hyphenated words.
Unfortunately, I never got around to doing this and the problem is
still not resolved.

I am 100% sure that the patterns file is being called properly,
because I can add hyphenation exceptions to the file and they will
hyphenate correctly in the next render. The only problem is that if I
were to fix all the incorrect hyphenation this way I could easily end
up with hundreds of exceptions and a bloated TeX patterns file.

I even tried grabbing the patterns file from CTAN and re-working it
for XEP, same outcome.

I don’t know if it's an issue of XEP3 hyphenating correctly and XEP4
not. If you try using the same patterns file for both, there is much
more hyphenation present when processing with 4 rather than 3. Is it
a problem with XEP4? Or could it be that there was always something
wrong with the the patterns file?

I hope you find the solution to this problem and post it here. Until
then, we will continue to use XEP3 for French and XEP4 for everything
else.

Regards,
Keith