Re: [xep-support] preventing line breaks before punctuation

From: Geoff Levner <geoff@n-generate.com>
Date: Mon Oct 30 2006 - 23:53:42 PST

On 30 Oct 2006, at 23:34, David Tolpin wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 02:08:09 +0400, Geoff Levner <geoff@n-
> generate.com> wrote:
>
>> That wouldn't prevent XEP from putting the colon (or semicolon, or
>> question mark, or whatever) on a new line, would it?
>>

> Hi,
>
> it will, unless there is a space. If you replace the space with an
> attribute, it is not split.

French users will always enter a space before the punctuation mark.
So we still need a magical way of removing or replacing all the
preceding white space, if that white space is in the same block, and
even if there is XML markup between the end of the previous word and
the punctuation. This is difficult to do with XSLT.

I suspect it would be easier to implement in XEP's line breaking
mechanism, when the XML has already been parsed, the superfluous
white space has been removed, and the text has been broken into
blocks. All you need to do at that point is prevent the insertion of
a line break before the punctuation mark.

Geoff