[xep-support] Farsi numbers, unicode and Bidi mechanism (?bug)

From: Peter von Kaehne <refdoc@gmx.net>
Date: Sat Oct 21 2006 - 05:26:36 PDT

Thanks a lot for all responses, I hacked a font with success.

In the process I stumbled over something odd. I am not sure whether this
is a bug in XEP or a mistake/poor knowledge on my side. Presumably the
latter

Farsi (and I think Arabic) numbering is LtoR, while the ordinary text is
RtoL.

XEP though seems to print Latinate (including font-hacked ones) LtoR as
intended, but will not do the same for the unicode Arabic or Farsi
number range. So a 21 (۲۱) will become a 12 (۱۲) and vice versa.

The only way of correcting this which I have found - apart from using
only Latinate numbers in the baseline text and then doing a font hack
for the xsl.fo2pdf transition - is to do a bidi direction, which becomes
incredibly tedious and faultprone when doing a complicated reference of
chapters, pages and verses etc as it will be a complicated nested inline
structure and completely unreadable when casually scanning of the xsl.fo
text.

So summary : is XEP unable to treat alternative unicode ranges as valid
numbers and then do the bidi thing automatically or is there a simple
switch of which I am unaware?

If the former, then how would I go about in raising a bug report? Or
have I done so just now?

Peter