Re: [xep-support] white-space-treatment="ignore-if-before-linefeed"

From: Bob Stayton <bobs@sagehill.net>
Date: Sat Sep 02 2006 - 13:33:15 PDT

Hi David,
Here are some more details. A docbook document has a programlisting
element that contains an XInclude with parse="text" to include a code
sample from a Windows text file that has cr-lf line endings. When this is
processed by the XInclude processor and the stylesheet, the result is the
following FO:

      <fo:block id="id405244" white-space-collapse="false"
white-space-treatment="preserve" linefeed-treatment="preserve"
text-align="start" wrap-option="no-wrap" space-before.minimum="0.8em"
space-before.optimum="1em" space-before.maximum="1.2em"
space-after.minimum="0.8em" space-after.optimum="1em"
space-after.maximum="1.2em" hyphenate="false" font-family="monospace">First
line of the code&#13;
Second line of code&#13;
etc.

Note that each line in the FO ends with &#13;. I get the same results with
two different XInclude processors (Xerces and libxml2). When I process
this with Antenna House or FOP, the lines are single-spaced. When
processed with XEP, the lines are double-spaced.

Since white-space-treatment="preserve", perhaps the double spacing is
correct, and AH and FOP get it wrong (but what the author wanted). But my
reading of XSL section 7.15.8 about
white-space-treatment="ignore-if-before-linefeed" is that any XML white
space character immediately preceding a &#xA; is ignored. The &#xD;
character is certainly a white-space character by the definition of white
space in XML, so it should be ignored, leading to single-spaced output, no?
I don't think that property value applies just to the space character.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
DocBook Consulting
bobs@sagehill.net