[xep-support] Line-stacking-strategy oddity

From: Appleby, Paul <paul.appleby@tso.co.uk>
Date: Fri May 26 2006 - 16:16:57 PDT

While producing some PDF output with lines at 8pt text on 8.5pt line-height and using a max-height line-stacking strategy (as sometimes there will be images taller than 8.5pt) there is sometimes a need to output smallcaps. As this is not supported in XEP I am simulating it by dropping the text size to 6pt as there is no smallcaps font allowable - I'm reproducing the output as in a legacy system. I'm using Monotype Times

The odd thing is that this is forcing extra space below the line with the smallcaps. Now, I could understand this if I was using a font size bigger than 8pt as this is what a max-height strategy should do. However, I am completely thrown by why it should happen using a smaller font size within a line.

I've tried the FO in XSL Formatter and that appears to behave as expected.

I have managed to find a solution by setting the text-altitude of the inline smallcaps elements to 6pt also.

Can anyone tell me why the inter-line spacing should be affected? The offending FO is

<fo:block text-align="justify" font-size="8pt" line-height="8.5pt">
<fo:inline>The Q<fo:inline font-size="6pt">U</fo:inline><fo:inline font-size="6pt">E</fo:inline><fo:inline font-size="6pt">E</fo:inline><fo:inline font-size="6pt">N</fo:inline> has been pleased by Letters Patent under the Great Seal of the Realm dated 15 May 2006 to appoint The Right Honourable Anthony Charles Lynton Blair, The Right Honourable James Gordon Brown, David Leonard Watts Esquire, Alan Campbell Esquire, Kevin Denis Brennan, Esquire, Frank Roy Esquire, and Claire Margaret Ward to be Lords Commissioners of Her Majesty’s Treasury.</fo:inline>
</fo:block>

This works ...

<fo:block text-align="justify" font-size="8pt" line-height="8.5pt">
<fo:inline>The Q<fo:inline font-size="6pt" text-altitude="6pt">U</fo:inline><fo:inline font-size="6pt" text-altitude="6pt">E</fo:inline><fo:inline font-size="6pt" text-altitude="6pt">E</fo:inline><fo:inline font-size="6pt" text-altitude="6pt">N</fo:inline> has been pleased by Letters Patent under the Great Seal of the Realm dated 15 May 2006 to appoint The Right Honourable Anthony Charles Lynton Blair, The Right Honourable James Gordon Brown, David Leonard Watts Esquire, Alan Campbell Esquire, Kevin Denis Brennan, Esquire, Frank Roy Esquire, and Claire Margaret Ward to be Lords Commissioners of Her Majesty’s Treasury.</fo:inline>
</fo:block>

Thanks

Paul Appleby

This message is sent in strict confidence for the addressee only. It may contain legally privileged information. The contents are not to be disclosed to anyone other than the addressee. Unauthorised recipients are requested to preserve this confidentiality and to advise the sender immediately of any error in transmission.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept for the presence of computer viruses, however we cannot guarantee that this message is free from such problems.